Considering a Portugal Honeymoon? Well, you’ve come to the right place because we’ll show you the highlights of the country.
With its stunning beaches, romantic towns, and vibrant nightlife, Portugal is an ideal destination for a romantic getaway.
Portugal is also a great destination for its cuisine, wines, and its charming culture.
Additionally, Portugal is a great alternative to other European destinations because it is an affordable honeymoon destination that offers a unique variety of activities for visitors.
Welcome to Portugal! If you’ve never been to Europe before, Portugal is an amazing place to start your journey.
This stunning European nation is known for its rich culture, vibrant cities, stunning countryside, and beautiful beaches.
From the azure waters of the Algarve to the stunning architecture of Lisbon, Portugal has something for everyone.
Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or an exciting adventure, you can find it in this lovely nation.
Portugal is a safe country. It is located in Southwestern Europe, bordering Spain, the Atlantic Ocean, and the North Atlantic Ocean.
Whether you want to relax on the beach or explore the cobblestone streets of Lisbon’s old town, Portugal has a lot to offer.
So come and explore the beauty of this fascinating country and create memories that will last a lifetime!
Best Places to go in Portugal for Couples
Looking for the best places to go in Portugal for couples? You’ve come to the right place.
From sun-drenched beaches to rugged mountain peaks, there is something for everyone in this unique country. So grab your partner and start planning your next romantic getaway to Portugal!
Sintra is a great destination for couples because of its romantic atmosphere and stunning natural beauty.
It is home to some of Portugal’s most beautiful palaces, including the Palácio Nacional de Sintra and the Quinta da Regaleira.
Its lush hills and forests provide a peaceful retreat, while its cobblestone streets and traditional architecture can help create a romantic atmosphere.
Top 5 Things to Do
1. Visit the Palácio Nacional de Sintra
2. Explore the Quinta da Regaleira
3. Go hiking in the Sintra-Cascais Natural Park
4. Enjoy the stunning views from Pena Palace
5. Spend the day at the Moorish Castle
Where to Stay in Sintra
Vila Gale Collection Palácio dos Arcos: This stunning hotel is set in a 19th-century palace and offers luxurious accommodation and stunning views of the Sintra mountains.
Vila Galé Sintra: This hotel combines modern comforts with the charm of a traditional estate. Located in the center of Sintra, it offers a cozy atmosphere and gorgeous views.
Porto is a great destination for a couples vacation! With its stunning scenery, vibrant culture, delicious cuisine, and romantic atmosphere, Porto is the perfect place for a romantic getaway.
You can explore the city’s historical districts, take a scenic boat ride along the Douro River, enjoy the nightlife in the city’s numerous bars and clubs, or simply relax and take in incredible sunsets from one of the many rooftop terraces.
There is something for everyone in Porto, making it the perfect destination for a couples vacation.
Romantic Things to do in Porto
1. Explore the Ribeira District: Stroll through the vibrant, historical district of Porto and take in the stunning views of the Douro River.
2. Enjoy a Cruise Along the Douro River: Take a romantic cruise along the Douro River and marvel at the beautiful scenery.
3. Visit a Port Wine Cellar: Enjoy a tour of a port wine cellar and sample some of the famous fortified wines of the region.
4. Take a Day Trip to Guimaraes: Take a day trip to the historic city of Guimaraes and explore its cobbled streets, medieval castles, and beautiful churches.
5. Spend a Night Out in Porto: Enjoy the city’s lively nightlife with a night out in Porto’s bars, clubs, and restaurants.
Must Eat Restaurants in Porto
1. Pedro Lemos: Out of the city centre near the beaches, Pedro Lomos is a popular restaurant offering creative dishes with Mediterranean influences. Try the Grilled octopus with tomato and caper relish.
2. Rota do Chá: Rota do Chá is a cozy restaurant with a Mediterranean vibe, serving traditional Portuguese dishes with a modern twist.
3. Café Piolho: Café Piolho is a traditional restaurant serving classic Portuguese dishes in a romantic atmosphere. A good place to try Baked cod with olive oil and garlic potatoes
4. Casa de Pasto: Casa de Pasto is a cozy restaurant serving traditional Portuguese dishes in a romantic atmosphere.
5. DOP: DOP is an upscale restaurant serving modern Portuguese dishes with an emphasis on fresh, locally sourced ingredients. It’s an amazing restaurant for a romantic evening. The grilled pork loin with sweet potato purée and roasted vegetables was delicious and the atmosphere was perfect for a romantic night out.
Romantic Hotels in Porto
The Yeatman: Located in Vila Nova de Gaia, this five-star luxury hotel offers stunning views of the Douro River, a spa and wellness center, and a restaurant serving traditional Portuguese cuisine.
Palacio Do Freixo: Located in a historic 18th-century palace, this five-star hotel offers luxurious guest rooms and suites, an outdoor pool, and a restaurant serving traditional Portuguese cuisine.
InterContinental Porto: This five-star hotel offers luxurious guest rooms and suites, an outdoor pool, and a restaurant serving traditional Portuguese dishes.
Pestana Vintage Porto Hotel & World Heritage Site: Located in the heart of Porto, this five-star hotel offers luxurious guest rooms and suites, a spa and wellness center, and a restaurant serving traditional Portuguese dishes.
Infante Sagres: Located in the heart of Porto, this five-star hotel offers luxurious guest rooms and suites, an outdoor pool, and a restaurant serving traditional Portuguese dishes.
Lisbon is a city full of charm and beauty, with an eclectic mix of old and new. From its ancient cobbled streets to its modern architecture, Lisbon offers something for everyone.
Whether you want to explore its vibrant culture, sample its delicious cuisine, or take in its stunning views, Lisbon has something to offer.
With its romantic atmosphere, Lisbon is the perfect destination for a romantic getaway. So let’s explore what this beautiful city has to offer.
- See more: Honeymoon in Lisbon
Romantic Things to do in Lisbon
1. Take a walk in Parque das Nações.
Parque das Nações is a lovely spot for couples to enjoy a romantic walk. The park is filled with lush gardens and water features, making it a perfect place to take a leisurely stroll and admire the beauty of nature. The park also features a variety of attractions, including the Oceanário de Lisboa, the Lisbon Zoo, and the Pavilhão do Conhecimento, making it a great place to explore. Plus, the park is located along the waterfront, offering stunning views of the Tagus River.
2. Enjoy a dinner at Time Out Market.
Time Out Market is a popular spot for couples to enjoy a romantic dinner.
The market features a wide variety of restaurants and bars, offering a range of cuisines from around the world.
The market has a unique atmosphere, with live music and entertainment, making it the perfect spot for a romantic evening.
Plus, the market overlooks the Tagus River, offering stunning views of the city.
Some of the standout restaurants at the market include Sea Me (seafood), Taberna Portuguesa (Portuguese cuisine), A Cevicheria (Peruvian cuisine), O Prego da Peixaria (steakhouse), Manteigaria (pastry shop), and The Food Temple (vegetarian).
3. Take a tuk-tuk ride around the city.
Tuk-tuks in Lisbon are quite popular with locals. The tuk-tuk drivers are friendly and knowledgeable, and the tuk-tuks offer an efficient and fun way to explore the city.
Plus, the tuk-tuks are a great way to experience the city in a unique and romantic way.
4. Enjoy the sunset from one of Lisbon’s beautiful viewpoints.
The best places to watch the sunset in Lisbon are Miradouro de Santa Luzia, Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara, Miradouro da Graça, Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara, Miradouro da Senhora do Monte, Miradouro das Portas do Sol, and Miradouro da Nossa Senhora do Monte.
Each of these viewpoints offers stunning views of the city and the Tagus River, making them the perfect spot for a romantic evening.
5. Take a boat ride on the Tagus River.
Tagus River boat rides in Lisbon, Portugal provide an unforgettable experience.
The Tagus River is the longest river in the Iberian Peninsula and offers stunning views of some of the city’s most iconic landmarks.
During the boat ride, visitors can view the 25 April Bridge, built in 1966 to honor the Portuguese revolution, the Jeronimos Monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the Padrão dos Descobrimentos, a monument dedicated to the Portuguese Age of Discovery.
Visitors can also admire the stunning architecture of Belem Tower and the Monument to the Discoveries.
The boat tour can last anywhere from one to four hours, depending on the chosen route and the duration of the stops.
There are also several companies offering day trips to other destinations along the Tagus River, such as the picturesque town of Sintra.
6. Visit the São Jorge Castle.
São Jorge Castle is a stunning medieval castle located on one of the seven hills of Lisbon. The castle was built in the 10th century and offers stunning views of the city. Visitors can explore the castle’s courtyard, chapel, and towers, as well as the archaeological remains of the Moorish occupation. Inside the castle, visitors can also find the Royal Palace, the Núcleo Arqueológico, and the Museu de Arqueologia, which features artifacts from the Iron Age, Roman, and Moorish periods. In addition to the historical structures, visitors can also enjoy the castle’s lush gardens and spectacular views of the Tagus River.
There are several cute cafes and nice restaurants near São Jorge Castle. Located just a few minutes away from the castle is the charming Mercearia Castello Cafe, situated near the castle grounds and offering a cozy atmosphere, delicious pastries, and a variety of coffee drinks. There is also the nearby Café da Garagem, a cozy cafe/bar with stunning views of the city skyline where you can enjoy coffee and cakes while relaxing in front of floor-to-ceiling windows.
For a more upscale experience, visitors can try the Michelin-starred restaurant Alma, located in the historic center of Lisbon and offering a modern European menu. It’s pricey, with set menus starting at €180 but it is well-rated.
7. Enjoy a picnic in the Jardim da Estrela.
A picnic in the Jardim da Estrela is a great way to enjoy the beautiful surroundings and fresh air of the park.
Pack a picnic basket with some traditional Portuguese dishes, such as codfish cakes, octopus salad, and Portuguese custard tarts.
Pack some drinks, such as Sangria or Vinho Verde, and snacks such as olives, cheese, and nuts. Pack a blanket or two and find a nice spot to sit, relax, and enjoy the view.
8. Visit the Alfama neighborhood.
The Alfama neighborhood of Lisbon is one of the oldest and most iconic areas of the city.
The neighborhood is famous for its narrow, winding streets and colorful buildings, as well as its vibrant, lively atmosphere.
The neighborhood is also home to several of Lisbon’s most iconic sights, such as the Sé Cathedral and the Castelo de São Jorge.
The neighborhood is also known for its traditional Fado music, which can be heard in many of the local restaurants and bars.
There are also many restaurants and bars where visitors can enjoy traditional Portuguese cuisine and drinks.
In addition, visitors can also explore the neighborhood’s many art galleries and shops, as well as its vibrant nightlife.
Some of the top bars in the area include the Botequim da Mouraria, which is known for its live Fado music; the Botequim do Tejo, which serves up traditional Portuguese dishes; and the Solar dos Presuntos, which offers an extensive selection of beers and wines.
Other popular bars include the Bar do Chico, which is known for its great cocktails, and the Mandarim Bar, which is known for its lively atmosphere.
Romantic Lisbon Hotels to Try
Le Consulat: A haven for aficionados of art and culture, Le Consulat marries old-world elegance with a dash of modern flair, all in the prime location of chic Chiado at the heart of Praça de Camões. A highlight is the first-floor bar with sweeping city views and an unmatched cocktail menu
Hotel Britania: Located in the heart of Lisbon, Hotel Britania offers luxurious guest rooms and suites, a rooftop terrace with stunning views of the city, and a restaurant serving traditional Portuguese cuisine.
Corinthia Hotel Lisbon: This five-star hotel offers stunning views of the Tagus River, an outdoor pool, and a spa and fitness center.This hotel is located in the historical district of Lisbon, providing guests with easy access to iconic attractions such as the Castelo de São Jorge.
Olissippo Lapa Palace: Located in the historic district of Lapa, this five-star hotel offers luxurious guest rooms and suites, a spa, and a rooftop terrace with stunning views of the city. This hotel offers luxurious suites with private terraces, as well as a Michelin-starred restaurant.
My Story Hotel Rossio: Located in the heart of Lisbon, this hotel offers modern guest rooms and suites, a rooftop terrace with views of the city, and a restaurant serving traditional Portuguese cuisine. Great location – just a few steps away from the iconic Rossio Square.
Hotel Real Palacio: Located in the heart of Lisbon, this five-star hotel offers luxurious guest rooms and suites, an outdoor pool, and a restaurant serving traditional Portuguese cuisine. Located in a 19th-century palace, this hotel features a rooftop pool and panoramic views of the city.
Read More: Don’t miss our Lisbon Honeymoon guide
4. Évora, Portugal – UNESCO World Heritage Site
Évora is a beautiful city located in the Portuguese countryside, and it is the perfect destination for a unique and memorable experience.
Évora is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and it is filled with history, culture, and charm.
You can explore the cobblestone streets of the old city, visit the famous Roman ruins, and take in the stunning views of the Alentejo region.
Évora is also known for its delicious cuisine, so be sure to try the local specialties like chorizo, cheese, and wine.
With its beautiful scenery, rich history, and wonderful culture, Évora is a must-visit destination.
Unique things to do in Evora
1. Visit the Roman Ruins of Évora: Explore the ancient Roman ruins, located in the heart of the city, and take in the stunning views of the Alentejo region. The Romans were active in the Évora region, and they left behind many impressive relics. The most impressive is the Roman Temple of Évora, which is located in the heart of the city. The temple dates back to the 1st century AD, and it is the only surviving example of Roman architecture in Portugal. The temple has a large, arched entrance, and the interior is decorated with intricate carvings. Visitors can explore the ruins of the temple and take in its impressive size and beauty. The Romans also left behind a number of aqueducts and bridges, which are still visible today.
2. Enjoy Local Cuisine: Sample the local cuisine, including the famous chorizo and cheese, and try some of the delicious regional wines. A local dish from Évora is açorda à Alentejana. This traditional dish consists of a thick bread soup, made with garlic, coriander, olive oil, poached eggs, and slices of cured chorizo sausage. It is a hearty and flavorful dish that is sure to satisfy your appetite.
3. Tour the Évora Cathedral: Take a tour of the Évora Cathedral, one of the most impressive churches in all of Portugal. Évora Cathedral is a majestic structure made of stone, and it stands tall in the center of the city. It has a large, arched entrance, with beautiful stained glass windows, and a large dome at the top. Inside, the walls are decorated with intricate frescoes, and the ceiling is adorned with beautiful stone carvings. The light that filters through the stained glass windows creates a warm and inviting atmosphere. The Cathedral was built in the 12th century, and it is an example of the unique blend of Gothic, Romanesque, and Manueline architectural styles in Portugal.
4. Take a Horseback Ride: Explore the countryside of Évora on horseback, and take in the stunning views of the rolling hills and vineyards. You can book a horse ride in Évora at Estância de Évora. Estância de Évora is a local horse riding center located in the countryside of Évora. They offer guided horseback riding tours of the area, and you can explore the stunning scenery and take in the views of the rolling hills and vineyards. For more information, you can visit their website at www.estanciadeevora.com.
5. Shop for Souvenirs: Shop for unique souvenirs in the local markets, and get your hands on some of the handmade items from the region. Évora is known for its vibrant ceramics and pottery, and the hand-painted plates are a popular souvenir. The plates are painted with bright colors and intricate patterns, and they make a great memento of your visit to Évora.
Evora Restaurants, Bars & Cafes you can’t miss
Restaurante Os Lusiadas is a traditional restaurant located in the historical center of Évora. The restaurant serves classic Portuguese dishes and is a great spot for a romantic dinner. Try the traditional bacalhau (salted cod) with potatoes and eggs for a hearty and flavorful meal.
Taberna Típica Quarta-feira is a cozy restaurant located in the historical center of Évora. The restaurant serves traditional Portuguese dishes with a modern twist, and it is the perfect spot for a romantic dinner. Try the grilled octopus with tomato and caper relish for a flavorful and creative dish.
Botequim da Mouraria is a popular restaurant located in the historical center of Évora. The restaurant serves grilled meats and Portuguese specialties, and it is the perfect spot for a casual dinner. Try the grilled sea bass with mussels and shrimp for a delicious and hearty meal.
Where to Stay in Evora
M’AR de AR Muralhas: Located in the historical center of Évora, M’AR de AR Muralhas is a five-star hotel offering luxurious guest rooms and suites. The hotel is housed in a historic building, and your can enjoy stunning views of the city from the rooftop terrace.
Convento do Espinheiro: Located in the countryside of Évora, Convento do Espinheiro is a five-star hotel offering luxurious guest rooms and suites, an outdoor pool, and a spa and wellness center. The hotel is housed in a restored 15th-century convent, and it’s lovely to explore the historic grounds and take in the stunning views of the countryside.
Hotel M’AR de AR Aqueduto: Located in the historical center of Évora, Hotel M’AR de AR Aqueduto is a four-star hotel offering modern guest rooms and suites. The hotel is housed in a historic building and has gorgeous views of the city from the rooftop terrace. You can even see views of the Aqueduct from your hotel room.
5. Douro Valley, Portugal
Douro Valley is a great place for a honeymoon or romantic getaway. With its stunning views of the river, rolling vineyards, and charming towns, it’s a romantic destination.
There are plenty of activities to do, such as wine tasting, boat rides, and guided tours.
You can visit local wineries and go wine tasting, take a scenic boat ride, take a hot air balloon ride, go horseback riding, or visit one of the many historical sites and monuments.
You can also take a guided tour of the region, try some traditional Portuguese cuisine, or explore the charming towns and villages.
If you both love to get active, there are also plenty of outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, and kayaking.
Accommodations range from quaint bed and breakfasts to luxury hotels, so you’re sure to find something that fits your budget and style.
Romantic Places to Stay in Douro Valley Area
Six Senses Douro Valley is a luxury resort located in the heart of the Douro Valley. It offers unique accommodations, such as spacious suites with private balconies, villas with private pools, and duplexes with terraces. The resort also features a spa, outdoor pool, and gourmet restaurant. Guests can also enjoy a variety of activities, such as wine tastings, boat rides, and guided tours. What makes Six Senses Douro Valley unique is its combination of luxury and nature, with its stunning views of the river and rolling vineyards.
The Vintage House Hotel – Located in Pinhao, this modern hotel offers stunning views of the Douro River and the surrounding vineyards. Guests can enjoy a variety of amenities, such as a pool, spa, and gourmet restaurant. The hotel also offers unique activities, such as wine tastings and river cruises.
Lamego Hotel & Life is a popular choice for those looking for a unique and luxurious stay in the Douro Valley. People love the unique and modern design of the hotel, the incredible views of the valley, and the high-end amenities and services offered. The hotel also offers an onsite restaurant that serves up a variety of local specialties, as well as a spa and fitness center. Additionally, the hotel is conveniently located close to the city center and offers guests easy access to the area’s attractions.
What are some of Portugal’s best towns to visit?
Portugal has many beautiful towns worth visiting. From the historical city of Coimbra to the coastal town of Lagos, Portugal has a wide variety of charming towns and cities to explore.
Great Cities & Towns in Portugal for Couples to Visit on a Day Trip
Here are some of the best towns to visit on a day trip or for a longer stay:
1. Sintra: This picturesque town is renowned for its stunning palaces, castles, and gardens.
2. Porto: This city is known for its port wine, historic churches, and vibrant nightlife.
3. Obidos: This medieval walled town is a popular tourist destination with its cobblestone streets, flowery balconies, and colorful buildings.
4. Fátima: A religious pilgrimage site, this town draws visitors from around the world.
5. Lagos: This coastal town is known for its beautiful beaches and charming cafes.
6. Coimbra: This university town offers a unique mix of historical and modern architecture.
7. Évora: This beautiful walled city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. 8. Guimarães: This city is full of historical sights, cafes, and shops.
Do I need a car to visit Portugal’s towns?
No, you do not need a car to visit Portugal’s towns. Public transportation is widely available throughout the country, making it easy to explore Portugal’s towns without a car.
How much should I budget for a Portugal Honeymoon?
The cost of a honeymoon in Portugal will depend on the type of accommodation you choose, activities you do, and the length of your stay.
Generally speaking, budgeting around €100-200 a day for a Portugal honeymoon should cover accommodation, food, drinks, and activities.
This is slightly less expensive than a honeymoon in Italy or Greece. However, there are some jaw-dropping hotels which are perfect for a Portugal honeymoon but are much pricier.
If you can budget €500-€1000 a day you will live like a newlywed Prince and Princess in Portugal. It offers much better value than places like the Maldives.
Conrad Algarve – This luxury resort is located in Quinta do Lago, Portugal and features a stylish design, modern amenities, and direct access to the beach. The resort also offers a variety of activities, such as wine tasting, golf, spa treatments, and romantic dining experiences. Conrad Algarve is special because it offers a luxurious and unique experience for honeymooners. Its stylish design, modern amenities, and direct access to the beach make it an ideal destination for couples.
Monte Santo Resort – This resort is located in the heart of the Algarve and features a stunning outdoor pool, a spa, and a gourmet restaurant. The resort also offers private villas with private pools, as well as a range of activities ranging from tennis to parasailing.
Final Thoughts: What’s your favourite Portugal travel destination?
Portugal is a country of romance, adventure and beauty. From its stunning coastline to its historic cities, Portugal offers something for every couple.
Whether you are looking for a romantic getaway, a thrilling adventure or simply a relaxing escape, Portugal has it all. With its diverse landscape, lively culture, and delicious cuisine, Portugal is one of the best places to go for couples.
Where have you been? Let us know in the comments below