Renting a Jeep in Hawaii is definitely a “must do” while in Hawaii. Having the wind in your hair while you cruise across the island is an experience like no other. I’m mean, sure, you could rent any other car in Hawaii but it just wouldn’t be as fun!
As I’m all about fun while on holidays (as I’m sure you are too!) I 100% think renting a jeep in is the way to go. So with no further adieu, here is the complete guide to renting a jeep in Hawaii from yours truly with everything you need to know included.
Do you need a 4 x 4 in Hawaii and is it worth it?
Long story short, no you don’t need a jeep in Hawaii but it sure is fun. If you are thinking about renting a jeep because you want to go “off-roading” most car rental companies won’t let you do this in any event. Sure, you can just do it with your rental jeep, but you will totally be doing it at your own risk and voiding your insurance which we really wouldn’t avoid.
We will note that there are some pros and cons to renting a jeep in Hawaii, we’ve listed some below for your consideration:
Pros of Renting a Jeep in Hawaii
- It’s super fun and very iconic;
- It’s great to take photos with in Hawaii, very instagrammable;
- Feels great to feel the wind in your hair
- You can go off road on the beaches (although your contract may not cover it)
Cons of Renting a Jeep in Hawaii
- As a general rule, jeeps are more costly than regular car rentals and therefore, you may not deem it worthwhile;
- You can get very burnt in a jeep so if you intend to drive around for very long period of time that can be a factor;
- On a similar note, it is not that fun getting wet in a jeep in the rain. It rains a lot in Hawaii between November to the start of April, so if you are traveling within that time, renting a jeep map not be the smartest idea;
- It is very hard to lock up your belongings in a jeep so it is necessary to not leave anything of value in the car when you go out exploring.
Rent a Car for Most of the Time and a Jeep for a small period
What a lot of people do in Hawaii is rent a car for most of their time and just rent a jeep a day or two for fun. This takes a lot of the pain points out of the equation.
As jeeps tend to be more expensive to rent than other vehicles, this is also a great cost saving factor while in Hawaii.
This way, you can select a non rainy, not too hot day for a bit of fun in a jeep and also get some cool photos while you are at it.
We always look here for the best deals on car hire. The season really depends on how much you will pay for car hire but you can get a car rental in Hawaii for as little as $30 a day, which is a decent price.
How much does it cost to rent a jeep in Hawaii?
On average, you are looking at spending at least $100 a day to rent a jeep in Hawaii, however, you can spend as much as $200 depending on the company.
Another Option – Go on a Jeep Tour
A really good alternative to actually renting a jeep yourself is going on a jeep tour. It can actually be better if one of your big incentives is to go on the beach as nearly all the jeep tours take you on the beach.
Also, if you have not have experience actually driving yourself on the beach before and don’t feel that confident doing so a jeep tour is a really nice alternative. Plus you can still get your cool pics doing it!
You can book a jeep tour here.
Where to find Jeep Rentals in Hawaii?
You can check out jeep rentals here. There is no specific “jeep” category as they like to charge more for a jeep however, if you book an SUV and you are lucky the rental car company may give you a jeep, especially if you request one at check in.
Otherwise, if you definitely want to secure a jeep, below is a list of companies that offer them in Hawaii:
- Budget Car Rentals
- Turo Rentals
If you want a jeep wrangler in Oahu, here are some specific places where you are able to get one. These places are all popular and have good reviews:
- Little Hawaii Rentals
- Hawaii Jeep Rentals
- Oahu Jeeps – This company is known for offering good reliable jeeps with an easy airport connection from the Honolulu airport.
- Maui Jeeps
- Maui Jeep Rentals
- Kona Jeep Rentals
- Big Island Discount Jeep Rentals (airport rentals)
- Kaui Jeeps
- Kaui Jeep Wrangler Rentals
Jeep Rentals in Lanai
- Lanai Jeeps
- Lanai Jeep Rentals (airport delivery)