Looking for the best romantic getaways in Colorado with your partner? You have come to the right place.
Colorado is literally one of our favorite romantic getaways in the USA. In fact, we like it so much we decided last year to get married in the Rocky Mountains National Park in December in the snow! It was super romantic!
Why we love this State so much for a couples vacation is there is so many great things to see and do for couples year-round, from seeing all the animals at the Denver Zoo to a ski trip in Vail, to snowshoeing in a winter wonderland of the Rocky Mountains NP.
Accommodation is also perfect in this State for a romantic retreat as there are plenty of cozy romantic cabins in Colorado and romantic hotels with private hot tubs in Colorado.
Stay in the mountains or visit the scenic lakes in CO, it is also a gorgeous state to visit no matter the season. Come down in the winter and go skiing, then cuddle up by the fireplace together or visit during the summer and go hiking in some of the best spots in the USA. I must say fall colors are pretty special in Colorado too!
Keep reading for our top Colorado vacations for couples including the top Colorado weekend getaways for couples that you should schedule in this year.
ROMANTIC GETAWAYS DENVER COLORADO
Denver is one of our favorite cities in the United States. It is very hipster and has lots of cool bars, cafes and restaurants to enjoy.
One of our all time favorite date ideas in Denver is to get a scoop of ice cream from Little Man Ice Cream Shop. They give you huge scoops and it honestly has one of the best salted caramel ice creams I have ever tasted.
Aside from ice cream, here are some of the most romantic things to do in Denver:
- Explore Lodo: This is seriously the best area of Denver and one you can’t miss. It is home to almost 100 retsaurants as well as loads of shops and galleries. It is a super interesting place to just roam the streets at your leisure and explore. We always park near Little Man Ice Cream Shop and walk into LoDo after.
- Go on a Brewery tour: Denver has some great bars and craft beer. This fun craft beer tour takes you on a sip tour of the best beer in historic LoDo.
- Denver Art Museum Swing by the Denver Art Museum, which is known for its collection of American Indian art.
- Denver Zoo – If you or your significant other are animal lovers, be sure to visit the Denver Zoo which all started with the donation of an orphaned American black bear.
- Denver Botanic Gardens – Head over to the Denver Botanic Gardens where you can easily get lost while exploring the 24 acres of gorgeous scenery.
- Butterfly Pavilion – The Butterfly Pavilion is one of the most popular activities for couples in Denver as you can stroll among thousands of colorful butterflies.
- Go on a fun tour of Denver and the surrounds: There are so many fun tours to take in Denver. Sometimes it is just better when other people plan the activity for you to take the stress out of a couples retreat.
- Visit some of Denver’s best restaurants: Don’t miss dining at The Bindery which are known for serving up some unusual dishes. One of my favorites here is the grilled octpus.
- Confluence Park – If you are like outdoor adventure like hiking, biking, kayaking, or tubing, plan a trip to Confluence Park, an urban park located in downtown Denver.
- Sommers-Bausch Observatory – The Sommers-Bausch Observatory offers free stargazing sessions on Friday evenings and is the perfect stop for any star-lovers.
- Boulder Mountain Park – Boulder Mountain Park, which spans 45,000 acres of canyons and has over 100 miles of hiking trails, is another must-see on your trip to Denver. One of the most popular hikes is the Chautauqua Trail, which is just over a half mile in length and not too strenuous. Or, you can take a horseback ride through the park instead if hiking isn’t your favorite thing.
- Downtown Aquarium – Or head over to the Downtown Aquarium some of the best underwater life in the USA. There is just something so romantic about going to the aquarium
- Stay in one of the most Romantic Hotels with a private hot tub in Denver Colorado: What is seriously better than a hotel with a large soaking tub for two! There are tonnes of romantic hotels in Denver to choose from.
Boulder is a cool place to visit in Colorado and you could visit Boulder for a vacation in its own right or as a trip from Denver. I absolutely love the downtown area of Boulder. We saw a great christmas parade in downtown boulder last year.
Boulder is one of the most affordable romantic getaways in Colorado. We often stay in Boulder as it’s really nice and can be cheaper than Denver. We often stay in the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Boulder/Longmont.
Romantic places to stay in Colorado (Denver)
Here are some of the hotels we choose to stay in while in Denver. Each of them are great spots for anniversary getaways in Colorado:
One of the hotels you should check out on your vacation to Denver is the Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver.
Conveniently located near downtown Denver, full of luxury amenities, this hotel is sure to be a great place to kick up your feet and enjoy their nightly wine social hour after a long day of sightseeing.
Then, each morning be sure to grab some complimentary coffee to gear up for your fun day around the city. Check out the 24-hour fitness center or acclaimed VEDA spa, whatever you’re looking for, the Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver has it for you.
Book your stay here.
JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek is another great romantic hotel to check out during your trip to the Denver area.
Enjoy the luxury pillowtop mattresses, five-piece marble bathrooms, scenic views of the Rocky Mountains, and mouthwatering dining.
Each week, in the lobby of the hotel, be sure to sample some of Colorado’s best wines from local boutique winery Blanchard Family Wines. Tastings are complimentary and you can grab some special discounts as well.
Try out the complimentary yoga, sponsored by PrAna, look into their special wellness packages, and really just pamper yourselves in luxury while spending your couples time together.
One of the best weekend getaways in Colorado for couples without doubt.
Book your stay here.
Stay in the heart of Denver at the Hyatt Regency Denver hotel while enjoying the scenic views of the Rocky Mountains. One of the most romantic mountain getaways in Colorado.
Located within walking distance of the 16th Street Mall, as well as the Denver Center for the Performing Arts. Enjoy the heated indoor pool or outdoor whirlpool hot tub and sun deck, all of which are open year-round.
Head over to the spa and choose from a full variety of massages, including couple’s massages, and other services including customizable facials, waxing, nail services, and organic body wraps and treatments. Also be sure to check out the multiple dining options.
One of the top places for a romantic spa getaway in Colorado.
Book your stay here.
Hyatt Place Denver, located just steps away from the Denver Theater District and many shopping opportunities, is the last hotel we will be looking at in Denver right now.
One of my favorite features of this hotel is the 24/7 dining opportunities. Breakfast is served every morning with pre-packaged items such as hot breakfast sandwiches, yogurt, and fresh fruit.
Then visit The Market for a wide selection of grab-and-go items from snacks to salads, as well as pastries and sweets from the bakery case. Last, The Bar offers thoughtfully sourced, regionally inspired food, premium alcoholic beverages, and specialty coffee drinks.
Book your stay here.
Romantic Mountain Getaways Colorado
Colorado is for sure one of the best places in the USA for a romantic mountain getaway.
If you want to go somewhere in the mountains with your significant other, we would recommend either Estes Park (Rock Mountains National Park), Aspen or Vail.
ESTES PARK (GATEWAY TO THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK)
We absolutely love Estes Park and the Rocky Mountains National Park. We considered everywhere in Colorado but chose to get married in Estes Park as we liked it the best.
There are tonnes to do for couples in this area of Colorado but these are some of our favorites:
- Stroll around Bear Lake: Bear Lake is probably the most iconic walk to do in the Rocky Mountains National Park. It is also incredibly easy as the whole walk around the lake is flat so most people who visit the rockies go here.
- Eat in all the incredible restaurants in Estes Park: Estes Park seriously has some of the best food in the whole of the USA. If you and your significant other are foodies like us, you will love Estes Park. Some of the unmissable places to eat in town is The Stanley Hotel (recommended dishes include Bison steak and the Elk Meatloaf) and Dunraven (our favorite dish here is without doubt the lasagne).
- Visit the Stanley Hotel: You can stay at the Stanley Hotel (which is a super cool experience) but even if you choose not to stay, it is a *must see* place in Estes Park. If you are a couple who is into the spooky stuff there are great ghost tours in the Stanley to take as well as a great cafe onsite. A great and very romantic time to visit is Christmas as the hotel is decked out beautifully with Christmas decorations.
- Hike the Rockies: Hiking is without doubt the best activity to do in the Rocky Mountains NP. Our favorite hike in the park is the Emerald trail which passes 3 lakes including our favorite lake, Dream Lake. We got some stunning wedding photos along this walk.
Tip – Must sure you either have a 4WD or snowchains on your vehicle if you drive in the Rockies during winter We were silly last year and went without snowchains as we didn’t think we needed them. Turns out we very much did need them on as our vehicle spun out of control and went off a cliff, hitting a tree. We were very lucky we didn’t get seriously injured. Learn by our mistake and don’t put yourself in danger.
Romantic Places to Stay in Estes Park
The Stanley Hotel
The Stanley Hotel is for sure one of the coolest places we have ever stayed at.
It is the inspiration for Stephen King’s book ‘The Shining’ which you will probably know from the famous movie which Jack Nicholson starred in.
We chose to stay here to have a spooky experience and it really delivered, I got a bit freaked out at every little bit of noise I heard.
It is a big hotel that reminds me of a mini amusement park. There is so much cool stuff to do inside the hotel to keep you entertained while you stay including a really really good restaurant, ghost tours, magic shows and a nice cafe.
We stayed here recently and it was one of the best vacations we have ever had.
We were a little hesitant as the cabin is a little expensive, especially if you are coming just as a couple, but the splurge was completely worth it. It was a very romantic and luxurious experience to say the least!
The cabin, located in Estes Park, the gateway to the amazing Rocky Mountains was nothing short of wonderful. All the cabins on this lake, as far as I’m aware have 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and an extra toilet so they are perfect to share with friends.
Now, I do always get a little concerned when booking a hot tub hotel on how often they are cleaned and I can personally tell you, your private hot tub gets cleaned every day (I saw the hot tub cleaner come!)
ASPEN – ONE OF THE BEST ROMANTIC GETAWAYS IN COLORADO
Another great location to visit in Colorado for a couples retreat is Aspen, Colorado. Aspen is without doubt one of the most romantic places in Colorado.
Aspen is known as a great skiing location and if you go in winter, you for sure should go skiing in Aspen (it is a no brainer!) but there are also other great romantic things to do in Aspen with your significant other. Here is what we would recommend:
- Hot Air Balloon Ride – Float across the sky in a hot air balloon, which is best done at sunrise for the most spectacular views.
- Paragliding – Go paragliding one morning and land in a secluded field to enjoy a champagne toast or picnic together.
- White Water Rafting – Try white water rafting or ride the Silver Queen Gondola to the top of Aspen Mountain and eat at the Sundeck while enjoying the views.
- Aspen Cooking Classes – Looking for something a little less adventurous? Aspen has some fabulous cooking schools which offer private, hands-on classes together.
- O2 Aspen Spa – There’s also the O2 Aspen Spa where you can customize private “partner yoga” classes, which can take place at the spa itself in a converted Victorian building, outside on the mountain, or at any location of your choosing.
Best Places to Stay in Aspen for Couples
The Inn at Aspen is a ski-in/ski-out full conference resort located at the base of Buttermilk Mountain.
On the ski-area side a 24-foot-high grand entryway leads out onto a stone patio with a gas fire pit and outdoor pavilion with a heated outdoor pool and hot tub.
The Inn is conveniently located just steps from the ski school, ski rental, and ticket offices. The onsite restaurant and bar offer seasonal breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
During summer you can also enjoy the on-site nature and hiking trails or check out the golf courses located only a mile away from the Inn.
The Gant, situated on five acres at the base of Aspen Mountain, offers convenient access to world class skiing and historic downtown.
The hotel’s restaurant, Pepperjack’s Café, serves locally roasted gourmet coffee, breakfast and lunch options, local craft brews, wine, and signature cocktails and you can enjoy dine-in or food to-go on the rooftop terrace or poolside patio.
Also on-site are two heated outdoor swimming pools, three jetted hot tubs, five tennis courts, a fitness center, and three nearby golf courses. On-property ski rental and boot fitting, as well as ski and snowboard lessons, make hitting the slopes even easier.
Located just steps from Ajax Mountain, the Hyatt Residence Club Grand Aspen offers multiple fireplaces, private balconies, grand kitchens, spa tubs, and steam showers.
The resort is a non-smoking resort and the minimum check-in age is 21. Definitely proving to be one of the best Colorado resorts for couples.
Sit by the fire pit and relax after a long day of shopping or sightseeing. Take a dip in the pool, which is an outdoor junior Olympic-size pool and is open dawn to dusk year-round.
Keep your workout on track at the fitness center with free weights, treadmill, exercise bike, and the stair machine. All cardio machines have built in personal cable television.
Aspen Meadows Resort, located on 40 scenic acres and surrounded by breathtaking mountain views, offers a versatile blend of mouthwatering cuisine, spacious suites, and refreshing, homelike amenities to enjoy your couples vacay.
With three restaurants, a health center, five tennis courts, and two art galleries, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
There is also an outdoor pool and hot tub to soak in after a long day of skiing or shopping. There are also on-site snowshoes and bike rentals. Rooms include pillowtop mattresses, a queen size pull-out sleeper sofa, bathrobes, slippers, and a wet bar with a mini fridge.
VAIL ROMANTIC GETAWAYS
The city of Vail, which is well known for its skiing opportunities, is also a great place for a couples vacation and has more to offer than just skiing as well.
- Betty Ford Alpine Gardens – Stroll through Betty Ford Alpine Gardens and enjoy the variety of trees, flowering bushes, streams, falls, and blooms. Booth Falls Trail is a great hike and with only being a four-mile round trip it is well worth the wait to see the beautiful waterfall.
- Piney River Ranch – Piney River Ranch is a great place to spend a day, rent canoes or paddleboards or take a hike to the waterfall.
- Adventure Ridge is a fun getaway, go snow tubing or enjoy the ropes courses and don’t forget to try the coaster before you leave.
- Go for a Hike – A couple other hikes you could do would be the Missouri Lake Trail, the Shrine Mountain Trail, Piney River Trail (Upper), and the Vail Recreation Path.
- Other Fun Couple Activities – Take a tour at the 10th Mountain Whiskey and Spirit Company or visit the Colorado Snowsports Museum and Hall of Fame and see the unique history of the 10th Mountain Division – the US Army WWII unit that trained in the Rockies to be a unique force fighting in the mountains of northern Italy.
While in Vail, be sure to check out the Vail Mountain Lodge & Spa, which includes both regular hotel rooms and condos as options for your stay.
They have an on-site spa, gym, and restaurant and are located within walking distance of Gondola One as well as the shopping and nightlife on Bridge Street.
The on-site restaurant, Terra Bistro, offers a wide variety of mouthwatering entrees, appetizers, and share plates.
They also offer a wine list, craft cocktails, and local Colorado brews. The rooms include gas fireplaces, down bedding, a separate standup shower and deep soaking tub in the bathrooms.
The Grand Hyatt Vail, another ski-in/ski-out resort, is located at the base of Vail mountain along the banks of Gore Creek.
In the summer, you have access to bike rentals and tours provided by Venture Sports. Or you can relax and listen to the creek flow by and enjoy the spectacular views of the mountain while hanging out in the Creek-Side Infinity Pool, which also features two hot tubs.
In the winter, enjoy the most convenient access to Vail Mountain skiing and snowboarding activities. You will be staying steps away from ski rentals, concierge, valet, and the resort’s ticket office.
Located in the heart of Vail Village is the Christiania Lodge, A Destination Hotel.
Featuring 22 rooms in an authentic Bavarian-style lodge, you will find the hotel’s cozy, intimate setting a great place to relax and enjoy your vacation.
Enjoy complimentary breakfast each morning at Sarah’s Lounge, as well as their full bar during ski season.
Take a dip in the outdoor heated pool with jacuzzi jets while enjoying the breathtaking mountain views and grilling dinner on the communal grill. The Lodge is located within walking distance of dining, shopping, and all the best things to do in Vail.
ROMANTIC CABINS IN COLORADO
There are many romantic honeymoon cabins you can book for your getaway, in many different locations in Colorado.
In the winter you can cozy up by the fireplace and watch it snow, and in the summer enjoy activities such as fly fishing and mountain biking.
Cabins can prove to be some of the best cheap romantic getaways in Colorado.
After spending last Christmas and New Years in Estes Park at Mountain Villages we can 10/10 recommend a stay here.
The cabins are very large – more than enough for two people – and well made.
We loved the outdoor private jacuzzi which we used every night. Another highlight was the fireplace which we kept roaring all night.
Within easy walking distance is a super Italian restaurant on Lake Estes and also Chops Steakhouse (try the Elk)!
Little Red Treehouse
Little Red Treehouse is a lovely cabin you can rent when traveling to Colorado. One of the best colorado vacations for couples.
Conveniently located near the Rocky Mountain National Park, the Little Red Treehouse offers spectacular mountain views in every direction. Perfect for romance with a pull-down double bed, loft, bathroom, and outdoor dining area where you can enjoy your dinner while watching the wonderful views.
Holloway Cabin, located off the highway in the heart of the Rocky Mountains a few miles outside of Buena Vista, is perfect for an intimate setting for you and your loved one. With a private hot spring you can relax in, you may not even want to leave once you check in to this amazing cabin.
Located just one mile outside of Evergreen, and only thirty miles outside of Denver, Colorado Bear Creek Cabins can offer a unique experience you might not get from a hotel.
You are located nearby to plenty of shopping, dining, wineries, breweries, and music venues as well as being nearby to plenty of outdoor activities such as fishing, paddleboarding, walking trails, ice skating, ice fishing, kayaking, and wildlife viewing.
The cabins include kitchens, wood burning fireplaces, and grills for your enjoyment. You can also check out our great location for fly fishing, right on the bank of Bear Creek.
Hillside Colorado Cottages, located on historic ten-acre property only 35 miles south of Salida, includes five lovingly restored cottages to choose from to book your holiday.
Enjoy the breathtakingly scenic views in the heart of the Wet Mountain Valley. Each cottage is equipped with free WiFi, a full kitchen, satellite TV, hair dryer, an iron/ironing board, and a cozy reading nook.
Bird watchers will love to check out the historic black willow grove located right on the property. Other on-site activities include horseshoes, nature/hiking trails, biking, fishing, rafting, and you are located near some great hunting locations as well.
Located between the Rocky Mountain National Park and downtown Estes Park are the Colorado Cottages. Come relax in one of twelve cottages nestled in a quiet courtyard setting with breathtaking views of the Rockies.
Each cottage includes individual charcoal and gas grills, picnic tables, or lawn furniture so you can barbeque outdoors as well as a full kitchen inside, a tv, and a fireplace to curl up in front of after a long day of enjoying the breathtaking mountain views.
Or you can, hop into the centrally located outdoor hot tub and watch for wildlife to come for a visit.
COUPLES RETREATS IN COLORADO: MOST ROMANTIC HOTELS IN COLORADO
One of the most romantic hotels for your getaway is the magnificent and historic Cliff House at Pikes Peak.
Sit back and enjoy the Victorian romance atmosphere, which dates back nearly 150 years. With 54 rooms, each uniquely decorated in the style of the late 1800’s, but complimented with all the modern services and amenities you might want, you can stay here time and time again and get a different, unique amazing experience each time.
Each room is individual in character but may include special amenities such as gas fireplaces, premium bedding, two-person spa tubs, steam showers, and towel warmers.
Down in Vail Valley, relax by the fireplace in your spacious suite at The Westin Riverfront Resort and Spa. Nestled near both Colorado’s Vail Mountain and scenic Beaver Creek Mountain, there is plenty of activities to keep you and your loved one busy during your vacation.
From hiking and biking trails for warmer weather to skiing and sleigh rides during the winter, there is something to keep you busy during every season here.
Rooms offer fireplaces, kitchenettes, in-suite washer and dryer, luxurious Westin Heavenly Beds, and Westin Heavenly Baths. The Maya Restaurant offers authentic Mexican food for your enjoyment.
The Club Wyndham Resort at Avon, located just eight miles west of Vail and in the Rocky Mountains along the Eagle River, is a great hotel for those looking to ski, hike, fish, float down a river, zip line through the mountains, or much more.
More winter activities include snowmobiling, snowboarding, snow tubing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and sleigh rides among other options.
Top amenities include a complimentary shuttle to the city’s namesake slopes, ski-valet service and storage lockers, indoor hot tub, fitness center, game room, and convenience store. You are also closely located to other historic towns you can visit.
In Western Colorado, nestled in the Palisades, is the Gateway Canyons. Scale the peaks, go horseback riding, unearth dinosaur bones, pamper yourself at the spa, dine under the stars, and many more memorable activities that are sure to make your vacation one that will not be forgotten anytime soon.
Explore the virtually untouched landscape of sculptured rock, listen for the call of the red-tailed hawk, and live your childhood dream by discovering a world full of new adventures.
Walk through the Gateway Canyons Auto Museum, spanning every era of the American auto industry and view the privately-owned Hendricks Collection.
Visit the hot springs at the Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort, located in Nathrop between the towns of Buena Vista and Salida.
Enjoy a one-day hot springs experience or relax with an overnight stay at this historic resort. The hot springs waters are 100% natural and odorless, bubbling out of the ground at 120 degrees.
The cliffside hotel rooms have a shared patio which overlooks the resort and the Rocky Mountains. Hillside hotel rooms offer easy access to the water slide and the upper hot spring pools. Fitness and Yoga classes are offered daily and are complimentary to overnight guests.
The Little Nell, located in Aspen, boasts special amenities such as complimentary mini-bar snacks and non-alcoholic beverages which are refreshed once daily.
Other amenities include Lavazza Blue espresso maker and electric tea kettle, TV, Bluetooth speaker, Video on Demand, Humidifier, daily papers delivered to your room, ski concierge, heated outdoor pool and hot tub, 24-hour in-room dining, packing and unpacking services, grocery and personal shopping, and much more.
With two on-site restaurants and three bars, there is something to enjoy for everyone. Buy a pass that grants you access to all four mountains for skiing, or rent a specialized Audi and explore Aspen.
Hope you find the perfect spot for your couples retreat to Colorado! After you get some great snaps you might like to caption your pictures with some Colorado Quotes!